A woman jumped the barriers that separate the area reserved for the public in the central nave of the Basilica of St. Peter by throwing against the Pope during the procession that precedes the celebration of Mass on Christmas Day (the beginning of which was brought forward by two hours yesterday to allow the Pope to rest). Security men are promptly intervened to stop her but she has still managed to grab the Holy Father making him lose his balance and he fell to the ground.
Pope Benedict XVI has elevated and celebrated Mass regularly, do not report any consequence.
In the melee fell also the French Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, 87, who has fallen into the fractured femur and will be operated.
The woman, Susan Maiolo, 25 year old Italian and Swiss citizenship suffers from serious psychiatric problems. Already last year he had tried, always during the celebration of the Mass of Christmas, to approach the Pope, but was immediately blocked.
The Vatican police are investigating to see if she arrived alone in the Basilica. The woman has been subjected to compulsory medical treatment.
Here's an amateur video filmed by two American tourists
- Total Eclipse of the Sun in Asia
- The departure of the Shuttle
- NASA takes a solar flare
- Shuttle Landing
- Party of the Shuttle Discovery mission STS 128
- Hunting for Tornado
- Google Nexus One, common technical specifications
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the trailer
- Call of Duty: World at War Der Riese
- Dramatic police chase
- Space Station passes in front of the Moon
- Comet swallowed by the Sun